Student Banking Made Easy
Glass City’s Student Banking is designed especially for our members between the ages of 16 and 22.
Glass City’s Student Banking benefits include:
- FREE Student Checking & Savings Accounts*
- FREE Visa Debit/ATM Card
- FREE Mobile/Online Banking & Bill Pay
- FREE Mobile Check Deposit
- FREE Glass City Card Controls Mobile app to protect your debit or credit card from fraud
- FEE FREE use of ATMs and participating credit union’s branches locally and nationwide
- 12-month Youth/Student Share Certificate of Deposit: Earns a higher dividend rate than a savings account**; $250 minimum balance to open
- First Time Auto Buyer Program with Glass City financing at a participating auto dealership or for a private owner auto purchase
- The Smart Option Student Loan® by Sallie Mae® (click here for details.)
Plus, Glass City offers scholarship opportunities each year — see below to learn more!
*Student Checking Account: no minimum balance required, no check-writing limit, and no monthly service charge. Check order fees vary. Primary Share Savings Account: a minimum of $25 is required to open this account; $25 must be maintained for credit union membership.
**See “12 month Youth/Student CD” in our Deposit Rates listing here.
Open a Student Banking account at a Glass City branch and receive:
♦ A Glass City pen & lanyard!
♦ A Student Banking kit with helpful financial education tips &
“Life after high school” options!
Glass City Federal Credit Union
Students are eligible to apply for the Glass City Federal Credit Union Scholarship if they meet all of the following criteria:
- The student will be attending a 2- or 4-year accredited post-secondary institution during the fall/spring academic year(2022-23).
- The student is a member of Glass City Federal; or a parent, step-parent, or legal guardian is a member of Glass City.
- The student submits the required essay and completes the application.
*Glass City employees, and immediate family members of employees and Board of Directors are not eligible to apply.
How To Apply
Please complete and submit the scholarship application (see printable version below) with the required essay by March 31, 2022.* Winners will be notified by May 1, 2022.
Scholarship and Essay Details
Glass City will award five scholarships, one in the amount of $2500 (highest scoring entry); and four in the amount of $1000 each (second to fifth highest scoring entries). The scholarship will be paid to the Office of the Bursar at the colleges attended by our winners, no later than August 2022. Winners must show proof of enrollment before scholarship payment is sent.
Scholarship essays will be reviewed anonymously by Glass City community business partners. The essays will be scored with attention given to spelling and grammar, content, validity and sincerity, and the applicant’s ability to answer the question.
Click here for a printable scholarship application.
Ohio Credit Union Foundation
The Ohio Credit Union Foundation is offering Ohio undergraduate credit union members the opportunity to apply for one of three scholarships ($5,000, $2,500 & $1,000) by creating an interactive 1 to 2½-minute video answering the following scholarship question:
How Can Credit Unions Attract Younger Members?
Video entries can be edgy, funny, bold, simple, serious – or anything in between. Entries will be judged on the accuracy of information presented, effectiveness in addressing the scholarship question, and originality.
The Video Scholarship begins on Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2022, and ends Friday, April 29, 2022. All video entries must be submitted by Friday, April 29, 2022, at 11:59:59 p.m. EDT.
For eligibility requirements and to apply, click here.
Glass City Federal Credit Union
Check back in January 2022 for Glass City’s scholarship application for the 2022-23 academic year.
Play Finances 101!
Finances 101 is a free game designed by Northwest Ohio Credit Unions to teach teenagers about the financial demands of the real world.
Students may payout money to be in a friend’s wedding, have a winning lottery ticket, pay an unexpected visit to the emergency room or get a promotion at work. There is uncertainty around every corner, along with opportunities to make sound financial decisions too!
- About earning a salary and paying bills and taxes
- What it costs to run a household
- How earnings impact buying decisions
- What responsibilities lie ahead in the adult world
Play Finances 101, the online game today by clicking here.